The Property Management Department is responsible fur the operations and physical management of a portfolio of approximately 80 buildings with ,1400 dwelling units in the East Harlem catchments area. The properties are divided into two areas that provide a full range of services to tenant-s and commercial leaseholders in a particular geographic area. The position of building Superintendent reports directly to the Area Captain, whereas assignments will be given from the Property Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following. Other duties may he assigned.
– Provide 24 hour emergency coverage
– Cleans and removes litter from grounds, dumpster areas, curbs, and parking areas daily.
– Provide access in building for contractors, vendor, meter readers, and inspectors etc.
– Spreads salt, on public passage ways to prevent ice buildup.
– Repairs fences, gates, walls, and walks.
– Periodically cleans out drainage ditches and culverts.
– Patrols, periodically, buildings and grounds of the property
– Prune trees, bushes, plants grass, flowers, trees, and shrubs.
– Helps manager verify that only residents of the property are using the facilities.
– Reports violations of lease and roles and regulations infractions to property manager.
– Report any reports of loud music or out control parties.
-Watches for and reports irregularities such as tire hazards, leaking water pipes, and security
doors left unlocked.
– Calls police or tire department by telephone in case of fire, break-ins and reports any police
intervention to the manager.
– Records all data such as property damage, unusual occurrences, and maintenance needs for use
by supervisory staff.
– Notify Area Captain and/or Property Manager of any needed supplies or equipment.
– Maintains appearance of supply room.
– Strip, waxes, and polishes floors.
– Wash walls, ceiling, and woodwork. Wash windows, mirrors, door panels, and sills.
– Empties wastebaskets in laundry room and office and transports trash and recyclables to
– Assists service technicians when needed.
PLUMBING AND HEATING
• Repair or replace new toilets and/or sinks
• Repair or replace vanities
- Change, seats and faucet valves
• Remove and replace defective air valves on radiators and steam pipes
• Unclog Waste line stoppage of tub, sinks, and toilets
• Repair all leaks from exposed pipes or shut-oil valves to prevent further water damage.
• Repair or replace shower heads, bars and shower rods
• Connect new stoves, and inspect exposed gas lines for leaks
• Replace defective wall switches, pull chain switches, and wall receptacles
• Replace light bulbs in public areas
• Replace fuses and light fixtures.
- Change ballasts and install smoke alarms
- Replace belts; lubricate fan motors in fan housing on roof.
• Repair and replace wooden doors,
• Replace door stops, and dour saddles.
• Replace hardware on windows.
• Replace small holes in floors (approximately 12 square feet)
• Perform repairs on cabinet drawers and shelves,
• Repair small holes in baseboards.
• Remove broken windows and replace broken balances.
• Replace or adjust door hinges
- Remove 36”x 36” window for glass repair to be done by outside contractor.
- Replace balances in existing windows providing it can be done from the apartment.
PLASTERING AND PAINTING
• Repair holes in ceiling and walls with sheet rock, joint tape, and joint compound, or with
plasterboard wire lath and plaster.
• Scrape, and prime, and paint effected walls with damage.
- Install door knobs and spindles.
• Remove and replace locks and latches on doors and mailboxes
• Lubricate locks and latch.
• Change cylinders, installed locks, for which HCI is responsible.
• Wall tile patches
• Re-grout tiles
• Perform repairs to VCT and/or make replacements to small rooms/ common areas.
• Tiles and caulking around bath fixtures.
• Flush low water cut-off unit as needed.
• Call in order for fuel as needed
• Adjust heat control as needed,
• Perform daily check on boiler and complete necessary paper work.
- Lubricate all mechanical equipment, compactor units, house pumps, boilers, and any light work
needed on elevators
• Install smoke detectors where needed
• Locate and seal all mouse holes as needed
• Inspect vacant apartments on a weekly basis to ensure no break-in have occurred, or any
damage made to the apartment.
- During working hours: excluding days off, provide access to and show vacant apartment to
- When requested my Management, clean sump pumps and pits, provided no deeper than three
feet and can be removed by one person.
- Superintendent to post whereabouts in building at all times.
- Sidewalks to be swept 18 from curb to Street between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m. And 12:00 noon to
1:00 p.m. as mandated by NYC Dept. of Sanitation.
The candidate for this position must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily to Hope Community, Inc. Must be hands on action oriented, detailed focused individual and have the ability to work with staff of all levels. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree ((GED)) one to three years previous related experience required or equivalent combination of education and experience. Boiler certificate preferred but not required Certificate of Fitness is required.